Baguio City is one of the most visited places in the Philippines, all year round. It is famous for strawberries, pine trees and attractions such as, Burnham Park, Mines View Park, and Camp John Hay. And every February, tourists flock in Baguio City to celebrate the colorful and joyful Panagbenga Festival.
Panagbenga Festival 2018
“Panagbenga” is a Kankanaey term for “Season of Blooming”.
Every February, Baguio City celebrates Panagbenga Festival as a tribute for the flowers blooming in the city. It is also their way to recover from the 1990 Luzon Earthquake.
Luckily, I was in Baguio City when the opening parade for Panagbenga Festival happened. I was able to witness this amazing, colorful and lively parade at the Session Road. This year, their theme is “Celebration of Culture and Creativity”.
Street Dance Parade
I was so excited as soon as I saw the parade at the Session Road. It’s my first time to witness an event like this!
Parade of Dogs in Panagbenga Festival
After the locals, here comes the furry residents of Baguio City!
Horse Parade for Panagbenga Festival 2018
Right after the lovable dogs, here comes the mighty horses!
Schedule of Panagbenga Festival 2018
- Panagbenga Opening Day Ceremonies and Parade – February 1
- Baguio Blooms Exposition and Exhibition (Juan Luna and Lake Drive) – February 1 – 4
- Handog ng Panagbenga sa Pamilya Baguio – February 11
- School-Based Competitions – Floral Arrangement – February 14
- School-Based Competitions – Landscaping Competition – February 15 – 17
- PMA Alumni Homecoming Weekend – February 16 – 18
- Flower Tee Open Golf Tournament (Baguio Country Club and Camp John Hay) – February 16
- Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) – February 17
- Grand Street Parade – February 24
- Grand Float Parade – February 25
- Exhibitor’s and Sponsor’s Day – February 24 – 25
- Session Road in Bloom – February 26 – March 4
- Pony Boys’ Day (Wright Park) – March 3
- Closing Ceremonies and Awarding (Baguio Athletic Bowl) – March 4
- Grand Fireworks Display (Citywide) – March 4
Overall, the Panagbenga Festival Opening Day was truly a memorable one! If you enjoyed my Panagbenga 2018 experience, feel free to share this 🙂